Thursday, November 2, 2017

THOUGHTS ON RACE BY AN OLD WHITE GUY

Nine years ago, on November 3, 2008, the United States elected our first African American President, Barack Obama.  Uni and I were overwhelmed with excitement that Tuesday evening as we watched the acceptance speech of the man we had voted for.  We had been ministering across racial lines for years and had felt that in our own small way we had made some contribution toward what was then known as "racial reconciliation."  We felt that Barack Obama's election was a great step forward for our nation and the church in America.  We soon found out that we were overly optimistic in our assessment; in  fact we found out the very next evening as we attended our (all white) church's Wednesday evening service. 

We had mixed emotions over the negative comments we heard; our joy became mixed with grief and anger.  What we had seen as something beautiful was perceived by many in my (white Christian) circle as something ugly.  By Friday I had assembled my thoughts enough to publish the following post which I am here republishing in its entirety:

IS GOD STILL ON THE THRONE?

Back in 1960, I was a fairly young believer and attending what I regarded then as a Bible-preaching church. It was an election year, my first in which I’d get to vote for president. The Democrat candidate, Senator John F. Kennedy, a Roman Catholic was running against Richard M. Nixon, a Quaker and well-known Communist hunter.

Meetings were held at various churches, fundamentalist and others, including the one I attended, denouncing the evils of Catholicism and foretelling the horrible dangers that would befall our Protestant nation if Kennedy were elected. Not only was He Catholic, but also a liberal!

Rumors were circulated by mail and tract (I wonder what would have happened if we’d had the Internet).

Well, of course, all of us true believers voted against this horrible evil, but to no avail. Kennedy won! Fear struck our hearts! America was doomed! But few, if any, of our fears were realized.

When Barack Obama was campaigning for election, rumors were spread, only now we have the Internet.
-- He’s a secret Muslim.
-- He’s an Arab.
-- He “pals around with terrorists.”
-- He’s not even an American.
-- He’s going to promote gay marriage.
-- He’s going to take our guns away.
-- And, of course, he’s the anti-Christ!

And a few truths:
-- He’s a liberal (so were the signers of our Declaration of Independence).
-- He’s black (actually, he’s mixed-race)!
-- His middle name is Hussein.

The evening that Obama gave his acceptance speech huge crowds gathered in cities across the nation. Uni and I were moved to tears when we saw the images on our TV screen. Blacks and whites embracing; tears rolling down the cheeks of older black people.

A half-century after the Civil Rights Movement, after the demise of Jim Crow (our American version of apartheid), an African-American was elected President of the USA. We felt it was a great moment in the history of our nation, a demonstration that “all men (really) are created equal.” It was truly historical. Here was a moment all Americans, whether Democrat or Republican, whether black or white, no matter whom they’d voted for, could celebrate.

But such was not the case. Instead, we were told by our Christian friends (and others) that the reactions we witnessed were the same sort of reactions that the anti-Christ will get when he appears; that America may no longer be a “Christian nation” (whatever that is!). A friend of mine was told that the second coming must be near because of this.

This strange mixture of fear, eschatological zeal, far-right politics, and I believe, downright racism is unbecoming to those who name the name of Christ.

And even those who claim that they are not afraid say something like, “Well, we have to remember, God is still on the throne.” Apparently though in their thinking, the throne is wobbling and God is barely hanging on!

Our God is Sovereign! He reigns! He sets up rulers and takes them down. He has a purpose in setting up Barack Obama. Perhaps the church through this will learn a little more tolerance, as some of us did 48 years ago.

Bill Ball
11/7/2008

Knowing that very few of my friends and acquaintances read my blog, I felt that I needed to get these thoughts out to as many as I could,  so I e-mailed it to everyone in my address book.

I waited in fear and apprehension for the replies.  Though only a small number replied, I felt relieved when I read them.  Very few were hostile;  some expressed agreement;
some even seemed to share my feelings; most of them expressed what I at the time optimistically considered "qualified agreement" (See:  YES HE IS.)  I now feel that I was incorrect in this assessment.  Today, as I re-read these replies I understand most of them as attempts (sincere or insincere) to be irenic or conciliatory, perhaps out of respect (or pity?) for me.

I believe that the last nine years have demonstrated that my early optimism was misdirected.  We have made little, if any, progress toward racial reconciliation in America and in the church;  in fact I fear that we've actually gone backward.

For the eight years of Barack Obama's presidency we saw animosity toward him running high, and I strongly believe that much, if not most of it was racially motivated.  Why else would congressional leaders state that their goal was to see him fail?  Why were there so many conspiracy and "birther" theories?  Why the increase in the number of racially motivated and white supremacist hate groups - the Klan, the neo-nazis?

And the situation has not improved since Barack Obama left office.  Racism now seems to have become official American policy.  White supremacist groups are more open and even accepted. And the church at best looks the other way.

Many of my white Christian (and other) friends will sincerely deny that all of these people and actions are or were racially motivated. Perhaps some weren't, though I suspect that many people are simply refusing to look inside.  We fear what we may find.

Uni and I are brokenhearted!  And please do not accuse me of being "political."  This is not simply a matter of politics, but a matter of right and wrong.  It's a matter of the church being the church, of actually loving our neighbors.

7 comments:

lwmann said...

Humm. I think the door can swing both ways. Is God not in control with the placement of our current President? Maybe God is "punishing" us for the way we treated our last President? (Or, why was this man born blind, was it his sin or that of his parents? - John 9 1-3).

Sadly, it isn't just racism that is running amuck. The Church faces all kinds of opposition to godliness in the face of a fallen world, and multiplied millions of unregenerate men (and women). Reconciling our faith and belief in the Truth of scripture with a culture that calls good evil and evil good is a lifelong endeavor. Our success and failure to impact that world is solely dependent upon yielding our lives and minds to the control of the Spirit.

As we seek to fulfill God's unique plan for our individual lives, may each thought in our mind, each word of our mouth, and each action of our lives be Sola Gloria Deo.

Bill Ball said...

Louis you should know by now that I am a firm believer in the sovereignty of God. But I hesitate to attempt analyzing the motives behind His actions in history. I also believe in the fallenness of the human race and that our fallenness is not an excuse for our misbehavior.
And yes racism is not the only sin that is "running amuck," but that is no reason not to address it. It especially grieves me because the church has been complicit in this sin, often openly while at the same time denying it exists.

lwmann said...

Bill, I think you also know that I'm not trying to "make excuses" for not addressing racism as a problem in the "church." While we can't "un-do" the sins of the past, we need to be careful that we don't stoop to the same level as the world and attaching labels that demean. I disliked seeing many of my friends and their posts demeaning our last POTUS just as much as I dislike experiencing the same thing from those who now attack the current administration.

Yes, we must address sin within the church whenever and in whatever form it takes. The church unfortunately not perfect and demands daily submission to the "Head of the Church." The need for Reformation is not over, nor will it be until Christ's Kingdom is established. Not and excuse - a fact.

I regret that we are not able to sit down at the kitchen table to be able to discuss the topic and to look each other in the eye and solve all of the problems the church faces. (Ha)

Love reading your thoughts. If you get a chance, look at our website (www.cbmatirx.org) and our Facebook page and let me know if you think CB Matrix is complicit with the sins of the church.

Bill Ball said...

Louis I've looked at quite a few of your poste on fb and no I don't think you are complicit. The issue of race in the church has been a hobby horse of mine for some time. Just click on "race" in the categories column on this blog and you'll see.
My purpose in writing is not so much to fix blame as to educate. I believe that the church is in denial on this sin (among others). I also write to clarify my own thoughts on the subject.

Bill Ball said...

Louis, Uni reminded me that I need to thank you for being open to discuss these issues with me. Some want simply to debate or to hit me with some Bible verse (usually out of context) to straighten me out, or to simply write me off.
so thank you.

Lawrence Edwards said...

Hey “Old White Guy”, your concerns and comments on racial matters confirm why I grew to love you and Sister Ball.

Lawrence Edwards
“An Old Black Guy” and your Brother in Christ
ledwards_sonetics@att.net

Bill Ball said...

Praise the Lord. Lawrence it's so good to hear from you after all these years. I'll be contacting you by e-mail. And Uni was as excited as I was to hear from you.